Ten Stunning South African Wines for Under R100September 26, 2016 / bynatalie / Categories : Food & Wine, Uncategorized
My love affair with South African wine started in 2010 when I moved down from Johannesburg to the beautiful Cape. I’ve spent the last six years exploring the Cape wine regions, from Stellenbosch to Franschhoek, Robertson to Paarl, learning about wine and falling more in love with the entire process of winemaking as I go.
I’m no wine expert, just an obsessive wine lover with a hunger to learn. But what I lack in knowledge I make up for in enthusiasm! And as the lovely Cathy Marston says, the only way to learn about wine is to drink it. So if you find yourself staring at the wine aisle with hearts in your eyes and question marks above your head, do not fear. You just need to drink more wine.
One thing that all of South Africa’s wine regions have in common is that they are producing some spectacular wines and selling them at some really entry-level prices. You could very easily snap up an award-winning bottle of white for R50. Which is obviously great news for wine drinkers who are starving for knowledge (read: want to drink lots of wine).
I’ve put together a list of some of my favourite under-R100 bottles, for you to bookmark and pull up next time you’re looking for R300 quality in a R100 bottle
For research and science purposes, I give you 10 of my favourite South African wines that sell for under R100 a bottle – and deserve to be sold for more!
1. Springfield Estate Special Cuvee | Sauvignon Blanc | R99
2. Kleine Zalze Vineyard Selection | Chenin Blanc | R85
3. De Wetshof Limestone Hill | Chardonnay | R97
4. Raka Spliced | Red Blend | R69
5. Rijks Private Cellar Touch of Oak | Chenin Blanc | R79
6. Nico van der Merwe Robert Alexander | Merlot | R86
7. Moreson Miss Molly | Bubbly | R95
8. Middelvlei Wine Estate | Pinotage | R99
9. Newton Johnson Wines | Felicite Pinot Noir | R85
10. Villiera Traditional Brut | MCC | R75
Bonus: Krone | Chardonnay Pinot Noir | R75
Popular Opinion| What Twitter users love for under R100
1. Boekenhoutskloof The Wolftrap | Red Blend | R49
2. Atraxia | Sauvignon Blanc | R99
3. Beyerskloof | Pinotage | R72
4. Nederburg Baronne | Red Blend | R65
5. Boekenhoutskloof Porcupine Ridge | Sauvignon Blanc | R55
6. Warwick Wines First Lady | Cabernet Sauvignon | R79
7. Haute Cabriere Pierre Jourdan Tranquille | Chardonnay Pinot Noir | R59
8. AA Badenhorst | Secateurs Chenin Blanc | R69
9. De Morgenzon DMZ | Chardonnay | R95
10. Haute Cabriere | Chardonnay Pinot Noir | R95
Bonus: Kanonkop Wine Estate Kadette | Pinotage | R95
All of these wines are available for sale online at Cybercellar, which is where I pulled the prices from. The prices are correct at the time of publishing (Monday, 26 September 2016). Some of these wines will sell for even less at the cellar door, which is just one more reason to head out into the winelands.
Do you have a favourite bottle that goes for under R100? Please let me know in the comments section below.