Taking Your Photography to the Next Level: Lightroom PresetsAugust 14, 2017 / bynatalie / Categories : Travel, Uncategorized
I get loads of questions from readers every week about how to improve their photography. Because I’m not a “photographer”, I can’t give you too much advice around technical skill, but you can find lots of helpful tutorials online. I do have some tips though, that have helped me take my personal and blog photography to a more professional level. Here are my tips for taking your photography to the next level (including a secret weapon: Lightroom Presets)
Taking Your Photography to the Next Level
- Shoot more than one picture. Give yourself some options. Sometimes the light can change in a second, or the person you’re photographing moves from posing to smiling their natural smile. These are the moments you really want to capture. If you’re getting someone (like a friend or your boyfriend) to take a picture of you, ask them to just keep taking, while you move around, turn your face, touch your hair etc. Don’t be shy!
- Try using a real camera. Cellphone photos can be really spectacular (see this post about the amazing Huawei P10) but if you really want to start experimenting with photography, it’s worth getting yourself a real camera. I started shooting on a Canon 700D, then moved on to a Fujifilm X-T10, which is what I use now.
- Shoot during golden hour. This is the one hour after sunrise and before sunset when the light is soft and everything looks most beautiful. Obviously, you can’t limit yourself to shooting only during these hours, but if you’re trying to learn more about portraits or even landscape photography, this is the most beautiful light.
- Straighten your horizons. Try to keep the horizon as straight as possible when you’re shooting, or straighten it during editing. Keep in mind that the vertical and horizontal lines of your images should frame your subject.
- Edit your images. This is the one step that people often skip, and it’s the one secret weapon that modern technology has gifted us with. If I’m on the run, I’ll edit my pictures on VSCO on my phone. But if I want to really make them great, I use Lightroom. Your pictures could always use a little love, whether that means cropping, changing the brightness, or upping the saturation.
Taking Your Photography to the Next Level: Lightroom Presets
If you’re new to Lightroom, don’t feel overwhelmed. Think of it as learning a new art form – it takes time. Spend a couple of hours watching YouTube tutorials to learn the basics and get to grips with a few editing techniques. This platform is huge and there are so many things you can do to make your photos even more beautiful, but the quickest and easiest way to do that, is with presets.
Lightroom presets are like filters, that you can add to your images to create a different look. The best thing about them is that anyone can create, save and share their presets. My friend Carlinn (aka @campsbaygirl) is a wizard with Lightroom, which is why I was so excited to see that she has released a collection of Lightroom presets for almost any occasion.
These presets are compatible with RAW or JPEG images, which I love. They’re also fully customisable, so you can adjust the effects to really enhance your images. I bought a couple of Carlinn’s preset packs, and I just love the results.
Campsbaygirl Lightroom Presets
There’s no denying that photography takes time, practice, a good eye and good equipment. But a little editing never hurt. If you’re already interested in photography, I’d definitely recommend taking your photography to the next level with Lightroom presets. Carlinn’s Campsbaygirl preset packs start from as low as $4!