With thousands of kilometres of (relatively) well-maintained roads, beautiful landscapes, diverse scenery and idyllic towns, South Africa is the road tripper’s dream destination. It’s hard to decide which part of South Africa is best for road trips, and that depends on what experiences you’re after and what kind of landscape you love. I love mixing up beach days with a bit of adventure and for that, the Wild Coast is perfect. We spent three weeks driving over 3500km from Cape Town, up to Coffee Bay and back through the arid Karoo. The route took us through tropical forests, beaches and desert landscapes, which is typical for South Africa. Here’s my guide for what to pack for a road trip in South Africa.
What to Pack for a Road Trip in South Africa
A combination of items in the same tones makes it easy to mix and match on the road, when you can’t do laundry. Denim is super easy to wear over and over, as it doesn’t get creased and actually becomes more comfortable as you wear it. The weather and landscape consistently change across the country, so it’s important to bring along items for hot days and warm stuff that you can layer when it’s cooler. Also be sure to bring active wear because there are lots of beautiful hikes and walks that you don’t want to miss out on.
For the best selection of cute but functional road trip gear, head straight to Duesouth, where you’ll find everything you need.
Tips for packing for a South African road trip
- Road tripping means lots of packing and unpacking, so I recommend keeping it light. You don’t want to be lugging around a huge suitcase and digging through mounds of clothes that you’ll just need to pack up again in less than 24 hours
- My top tip is to pack items that you can easily mix and match, so that you can create different looks. Sticking to a colour palette is helpful too, since it makes mixing and matching even easier. Denim, blues, greys, white and black are great to work with.
- Pack fabrics that don’t crease easily and dry quickly so that you can wash them on the road if you need to. Items that can be dressed up or down are essential, since you might want to go out for a meal now and then. We camped most of the way and stayed in hotels a few times, so I wanted to pack items that were easy to move in (for setting up the campsite or walking long distances) but I also needed at least one look that I could wear in polite society.
- Bring along a little bio-degradable detergent, in case you need to wash a couple of things along the way.
- Make sure to pack some activewear. We found some beautiful hikes along the way. Leggings, a few t-shirts – and don’t forget a water bottle!
I hope this guide on what to pack for a road trip in South Africa was helpful! If you have any questions, you can just pop them in the comments below.
*This post is sponsored by Duesouth.