I know there are people who think Valentine’s Day is reserved for capitalists, but I’m not one of them. I’m a true sentimentalist at heart so for me, Valentine’s Day is just a nice opportunity to spoil the person you love with something they’ll love. Because if not, why not? I mean, who can turn down jewellery when it comes from great jewellers? I don’t think I would be able to in all honesty. Plus, buying jewellery is a good investment, so it is definitely worth having some key pieces.
I feel like a lot of people want to get their partner something special for V Day, but aren’t sure about the technicalities. Like, “how much am I meant to spend?” “Is a card enough?” “If I go for flowers, how many flowers?” “Candy?” “If I get the lingerie size wrong am I fired?”
Personally, I always think a piece of jewellery is an exceptional gift. And it’s not always a gift for women, you can get really nice men rings by Manly Bands if you’re looking for the ultimate special gift for your man. When it comes to jewellery gifts, you can’t go wrong with the sizing. It’s something that can be worn every day. And it won’t have to be thrown out after a week.
Valentine’s Day is also an excellent opportunity to declare your love for your partner by surprising them with a diamond engagement ring. Just be sure to brush up on your knowledge of jewellery beforehand by reading through a diamond ring buying guide first. Ultimately, you want your diamond ring to make the right impression, and doing your research is crucial.
There are so many gorgeous jewels coming from the studios of local designers right here in South Africa, so to help with the tricky job of deciding what to buy for your special someone, I’ve put together my top pics for this Valentine’s Day. If pearls are more their thing, consider the selection of jewellery at lintonjewelry.com.
Here are some of my favourite pieces of jewellery from local designers. I’ve included all price points. A few of these pieces come in either yellow gold, rose gold or silver, so that will affect the price too.
If you really want to spoil someone this Valentine’s Day, or any time this year, I’ve also selected some of my favourite luxury jewels by some of my favourite local designers.
Shop Locally Made Jewellery
R550 and Under
- Disk Bracelet in gold/rose/silver | Famke | R350 | Shop
- Hoop Earrings in gold/rose/silver | Famke | R350 | Shop
- Pink Tourmaline Studs in silver | Famke | R550 | Shop
- Dainty Stack Ring in gold | Famke | R550 |Shop
R1500 and Under
- Intention Pendant in gold/rose/silver | Jimnojean | from R800 | Shop
- Herkimer Diamond Studs | Black Betty | R750 | Shop
- Wreath Necklace in gold/rose/silver | Dear Rae | from R580 | Shop
- Moon and Stars Studs in rose | Black Betty | R1,380 | Shop moon | Shop star
R2500 and Under
- Mini Black Diamond Ring in gold | Dear Rae | R2,200 | Shop
- Protection Pendant | Amy Scheepers | R1,800 | Shop
- Round Topaz Ring in gold | Famke | R2,150 | Shop
- Teardrop Ring in rose | Dear Rae | from R2,210 | Shop
R5000 and Under
- Five Diamond Ring in rose | Black Betty | R4,990 |Shop
- Duo of Mini Diamond Rings in rose | Dear Rae | from R4,900 | Shop
- Stella Pendant in gold | Exclusivity by Design | R4,900 | Shop
- Trilogy Diamond Ring in gold/rose/white | Dear Rae |R4,300 | Shop
- Russian Rings Pendant in gold| Exclusivity by Design | R6,635 | Shop
- Smokey Quartz Pendant in gold | Dear Rae |R5,900 | Shop
- Round Diamond Cluster Ring in rose | Dear Rae | R14,800 | Shop
- Carter Pendant in gold |Exclusivity by Design | R5,650 | Shop
- Wishbone & Half Eternity Rings in rose | Dear Rae | R8100 | Shop
- Ombre Strip Earrings | Kirsten Goss | R9,990 | Shop
- Bar & Disk Pendant in gold | Exclusivity by Design | R7,350 | Shop
- Bang Chevron Diamond Studs | Kirsten Goss | R15, 190 | Shop
- The Traveller Pendant in gold | Exclusivity by Design | R6,200 | Shop