I’ve wanted a drone since DJI first changed the world of aerial photography with their Phantom. But I just couldn’t justify the price of a big drone when I knew that I was most likely not going to lug it around in its own special backpack – especially when I’m already lugging around a DSLR and a couple of lenses and often a GoPro too. I was worried I’d end up never using it. Enter the DJI Spark – the smallest DJI drone yet. I took it with me to Reunion Island and it’s so small that I carried it all over the island – even on a two-day hike. Check out my video of Reunion from the sky, shot on my DJI Spark.
Reunion Island From The Sky (Shot On The DJI Spark)
What I love about the DJI Spark
- At just under R14 000 for the FlyMore Combo kit from WeFix, the Spark is probably the most affordable drone on the market for its class
- It weighs just 300 grams and fits in the palm of your hand
- When my Spark is in its bag with all its accessories, I can still fit in my handbag or backpack
- I can take it all over, and I’ve made really good use of it (which was my main concern with the bigger drones)
- I learned to fly it by watching a couple of YouTube videos and had it in the air on the day I got it
- It shoots video in 1080p and images in 12 megapixels
- The FlyMore Combo kit comes with a remote control, which makes flying really easy to handle
- The Spark has intelligent features like “return to home” which brings the drone back to you if you’re about to run out of battery
- The Spark is much less noisy and conspicuous than the bigger models, which makes flying it in public spaces less awkward (people normally don’t even notice)
- The Spark has a “gesture mode”, which means you can technically fly it without even using a remote or a smartphone (I haven’t used this feature yet)
- It’s the easiest way to get pictures that you’re actually in!
I got my DJI Spark from my partners at WeFix, who sell and fix all DJI models. In fact, WeFix is the best place to get your phone fixed too. If a drone is something you’ve been lusting after, I highly recommend you put the DJI Spark on your Christmas wish list.